Typically, when most dog owners would like to travel, they will leave their dog at home with a pet sitter. However, if you want to visit with your dog regardless of how large it is, it’s better to have a plan.
I hope I can shed some light on how to travel with your dog, so both you and your furry companion have a wonderful and exciting trip as possible.
Depart after packing these:
Whether your dog stays at home or travel anywhere, emergencies can happen. Thus, you have to deal with these cases by preparing all essential items as follows:
- Leash and collar: your dog needs an identification especially when traveling. Let you wear a collar with a tag including the address, your phone number, and other contact information. Pay attention to choose a flat collar without choking.
- First Aid Kit: no matter how careful you prepare and plan, accidents can happen anytime so never leave first aid kit at home.
- Grooming supplies: the fur of your dog is essential to take care of because it can influence the dog’s health.
- Water and dog foods: like humans, your dog may feel hungry before arriving at the tourist destination, so water and food are indispensable.
- Treats and dog toys: apart from what you say with your dog and body language, these will help your dog calm down during the trip.
- Dog bowls: these contain water and your dog foods
- Dog bed, blanket or your t-shirt: one of them can keep the body of your dog warm and comfortable during the trip. That’s because some planes are installed floor air conditioners.
- Poop Bags: these help you deal with your dog’s wasteKinds of medications: no matter what drug you want to take your dog, you must ask advice of your vet in advance. Some types may negatively influence your dog’s health such as breathing and unsteadiness.
- Medical records and health certificate of your dog: most of the airlines require these. However, if they don’t call for one specifically, you also take it with you. Just be safe, but in an essential case, it will let you know what shots and vaccinations your dog has got.
- DryFur pee pads: regardless of how well you train your dog poop and pee, a DryFur pad can minimize the mess. In particular, it’s useful if you put the carrier in a high-stress environment. Lining DryFur pad in carrier keeps not only your dog comfortable but away from moisture as well.
- Kennel or carrier: when it comes to the dog carrier, it must be big enough so that your dog can freely stand, sit, lie down even turn around. The majority of airlines just allow firm plastic crate with a wired door especially there must be air ventilation holes on the top of the half. Moreover, it’s better if you buy a product which comes with extra pockets on the sides to hold books or magazines
Make a detailed plan:
Crate your dog:
For humans, we don’t want to be crated obviously. However, dog are different from us in that they don’t mind being crated. Some of them feel better and safer.
Pay attention before putting your dog inside the crate. You must be sure that the crate is free of anything dangerous. Leashes and collars, for example, are strangling hazards.
Furthermore, the way to let your dog inside is also significant. You always have to keep a positive source of energy. The crate is not a prison. First, open the door and let your puppy go into the crate slowly in place of shoving you puppy inside. Best to train them to go into the crate themselves.
Close the door, wait a while. Once your dog feels comfortable and safe inside, it’s time to begin your trip. Don’t make your dog anxious with a sad voice like “don’t be worried, I will come back soon.”
If you want the next time to be more comfortable, it’s better to come back within 15 minutes and comfort your puppy.
How to get there:
Actually, airplanes are not a good choice for traveling with dogs because most of the airlines consider dogs as cargo and place them in the cargo area on the plane. However, you can still choose this option if you are the owner of a small dog. In some airlines, you are allowed to bring a carrier for small dogs that can be placed under the seat in front of you.
Nowadays, many entrepreneur lovers of pet have invested in pet-friendly airlines with affordable prices. Pet Airways is an example which just allows a pet without human passengers. Your dog will be in the main cabin in place of cargo hold. You can choose this option for your trip with your dog if you love traveling by plane.
When it comes to traveling by plane, unfortunately, I have to say that its price is pretty high. Although the amount of the airlines varies, the cost of an airline just one way can get up to $100.
Generally, each airline has its own rules, so you had better call to learn the detailed information. For instance, most of the airlines require proof of vaccinations and health certifications.
Cars are the best as well as the most popular vehicle to travel with your dog. Cars are perfect for taking your dog to the veterinarian or the dog park. For anxiety dog in cars, you have to familiarize your dog with positive driving experiences as much as possible before traveling. You can train your dog to relax in the car by just sitting in the driveway. This allows your puppy to not be afraid of car rides. My dog Sassy, enjoys car rides and ready to go anywhere but still shakes and pants.
In case you just use your car to take the dog to its veterinarian, I’d suggest taking your puppy on short trips that don’t involve your veterinarian such as a dog park or nature walk. Otherwise your dog will always be stressed because it thinks it’s going to the veterinarian. Thus, before anything else, it’s better to make the short and regular rides to a pleasant place.
For example, they include a park for walking, or a dog supply shop where it is received a toy or treat. Don’t forget to get some advice from your veterinarian about anti-anxiety medications.
Below are some notes you have to keep in mind if applying this method:
- To protect your dog away from car sickness, best to have an empty stomach before trips, at lease in the beginning with lots of water
- Don’t allow the dog to stick its head out of the window which may end up an eye injury
- Instead use a dog crate placed in the back seat. It’s best to use a harness accessory for a seat buckle
- Make sure to have proper ventilation while in the crate
- Never let your dog in the back of an open truck without overseeing because it can lead to severe injuries even death
- Prepare a few essential items such as travel paper, rubberized floor liners and waterproof seat covers… They can prevent a mess dealing with what your dog leaves after peeing and pooping.
By train, bus, and boat:
Unfortunately, these are not the ideal traveling forms. For example, Amtrak trains, Greyhound buses, and other interstate bus companies don’t permit dogs. However, the OE2 cruiser (from New York to England/ France) has some special services for your dog from lodging to free meals. Keep in mind to check the ship or cruise line’s policies in advance your trip with the dog.
Where to stay:
If the hotel is your choice, you should learn what amenities are available at the selected hotel and its price. Apparently, it’s so great to use a pet-friendly hotel that welcomes your pet, not only “allows.” Check the hotels for pet rules and if they have per day or stay charge. Most will have a per day charge with a maximum cost per stay.
For example, the right place will provide some specialized services for your dogs such as turndown service, dog spa service, dog daycare, and dog bed. However, the more services are available, the more money you have to pay.
Camping is an ideal method for you and your dog to have a fun time together while enjoying the outdoors. Regardless if you are camping with a tent, travel trailer or motorhome, follow the campground rules and everything should be fine. Most require that your dog is on a leash and you are required to clean up after them. Camping is a family activity that can be enjoyed by all including to pet.
Therefore, before anything else, check whether or not the selected campground, state, or national park allows dogs.
Tips to make everything easier:
- If you want to calm your dog, one of the active ways is to rub a bit of lavender oil between your hands and then rubbing the oil into your dogs coat. Aromatherapy works for both humans and pet alike
Travel with your dog at the destination:
A dog is an exciting companion for any trip. knowing when to listen attentively and keeping silent comes with training. However, it only happens if you have a well thought out plan. That includes what items your dog will need, where to stay and how to get to the destination.
Is my post informative? Did it help you plan a fun trip to travel with your dog?
Please let me know by a helpful comment below. Also, don’t forget to share with your loved ones.