Can Dogs Eat Mushrooms? Is it Safe!

Were you the type of kid that hated the texture of mushrooms, but now you can’t get enough of them? 

We use mushrooms to add body and flavor to so many dishes that it can be challenging to think of a home-cooked dish that doesn’t have mushrooms on the ingredients list. 

With the tendency to slip dogs titbits and leftovers, it may have got you wondering – can dogs eat mushrooms? 

In this article, we will look at the different kinds of mushrooms, including wild mushrooms, and whether it is safe for dogs to eat them.

safe for dogs to eat

Yes, dogs can eat mushrooms in moderation, occasionally.

Mushrooms that humans eat are totally safe for dogs. Wild mushrooms have the potential of being poisonous. Don't let your dog eat any wild mushrooms without know the danger.

  • Can dogs eat wild mushrooms?
  • Which wild mushrooms are poisonous?
  • What are the symptoms of mushroom poisoning?
  • How is mushroom poisoning in dogs treated?
  • How to keep your dog safe from mushroom poisoning
  • Can dogs eat store-bought mushrooms?
can dogs eat wild mushrooms

Can Dogs Eat Wild Mushrooms?

There are thousands of different species of mushrooms in the UK, some of which are perfectly safe to eat, and others, which can be deadly. 

Identifying the difference between the two can be extremely difficult, though, which is why it is advised not to encourage your dog to eat wild mushrooms.

If you think that your dog should be able to identify toxins by the scent, you are very much mistaken. 

Some varieties of toxic mushrooms, such as the Amanita phalloides (death cap) and Inocybe spp, actually have a distinctively fishy odor and will be very attractive to your dog. 

So if you see your dog foraging in the grass and suspect that he has eaten a mushroom, don’t attempt to work out what kind it was, assume it was a poisonous one and get them to a vet asap. 

All wild mushroom cases are to be considered a veterinary emergency since it is so difficult to tell the difference between a safe mushroom and a toxic one. If it is a toxic one, then your dog’s life is in grave danger.

Which Wild Mushrooms Are Poisonous?

There are many poisonous mushrooms, too many to cover in one article. But here is a list of some of the most toxic mushrooms in the UK.

  • Death cap (Amanita Phalloides) – This is the most common global mushroom responsible for the poisoning.
  • Deadly webcap (Cortinarius rubellus)
  • Destroying angel (Amanita virosa)
  • Funeral bell (Galerina marginata)
  • Fool’s funnel (Clitocybe rivulosa)
  • Panther cap (Amanita pantherina)
  • Angel’s wings (Pleurocybella porrigens)

What Are The Symptoms Of Mushroom Poisoning?

Different mushroom species contain various toxins, and therefore the symptoms of mushroom poisoning may vary depending on which type of mushroom your dog has eaten.

For example, Amanita mushrooms cause severe gastrointestinal problems before a false recovery, which then leads to acute kidney injury, liver failure, and later death. 

Inocybe spp and Clitocybe dealbata mushrooms cause eye-watering and salivation, diarrhea and increased urination, and then neurological symptoms.

Here is a list of symptoms you can look out for:

  • Diarrhea
  • Vomiting
  • Salivation
  • Lethargy
  • Weakness
  • Staggering
  • Seizures
  • Coma
  • Jaundice
  • Abdominal pain

How Is Mushroom Poisoning In Dogs Treated?

It is a good idea to take a sample of the mushroom, if possible, with you to the vet when you take your dog. 

Wrap it in a damp paper towel and store it in a paper bag. It will be beneficial for your vet to determine a course of action for the specific toxin your dog has ingested.

If you have been able to take your dog to a veterinarian clinic straight after the mushroom was eaten, your vet will probably decide to induce vomiting. They may also use drugs to counteract the toxin.

If your dog slips in a coma-like sleep, then they will require a monitoring until they wake up, although this is not something to be alarmed about.

are mushrooms safe for dogs

How To Keep Your Dog Safe From Mushroom Poisoning

If might seem like an impossible feat to try and keep your dog safe from foraging and eating deadly mushrooms, but here are some tips to help try and reduce the likelihood of your dog getting himself into trouble with mushrooms.

  • Regularly check your entire garden for the presence of mushrooms and remove them altogether.
    Checks after heavy rainfall are a good idea as the moisture is likely to encourage mushrooms to spring up in the grass.
  • Keep your dog on a lead in high-risk areas on walks.
  • Avoid damp, warm, wooded areas where mushrooms are most likely to grow, and where you are less likely to be able to see what your dog is getting his nose into.
  • If your dog is a scavenger, consider using a muzzle to stop him from being able to eat anything dangerous and allow him more freedom.
  • Train your dog on how to drop something out of his mouth immediately with the “leave it” command. This is especially important to practice with high-value foods to ensure that your dog responds appropriately in a dangerous situation.
    This can also be a godsend during picnic season with barbeques and chicken bones being left in parks.
  • Keep your dog’s attention focussed on you during walks. Keep them engaged with ball games and call them back to you regularly for petting and treats.
    This will ensure that you have as much control over your dog as possible, even when they are off the lead because they will enjoy coming back to you when you call them.
mushrooms

Can Dogs Eat Store Bought Mushrooms

Mushrooms bought in the store, such as Portobello mushrooms or button mushrooms, are generally safe for your dog to eat, so don’t worry if while you are preparing food in the kitchen, your dog makes off with a big one.

There is more concern to be had if your dog is fed mushrooms that have been prepared with other ingredients because many of these ingredients are not likely to be healthy for your dog. 

Related Post: Can dogs eat onions?

For example, butter, oils, sauces, and seasonings can all play havoc with your dog’s stomach and add unnecessary calories to his diet. 

When you feed human foods like this regularly, even if it is just a few odd leftovers after every meal, your dog could quickly become obese, and this can lead to a range of health problems.

You should be careful also if your mushrooms are cooked with onions and garlic, which are toxic for dogs.

If you are preparing food and you want to slip a treat to your dog, why not offer him a carrot stick instead?

Summary

It can be a scary thing when you think your dog has consumed something dangerous. 

Your instinct may be to panic, and in the case of wild mushrooms, perhaps this is the best reaction if it means you will take your dog to be checked by a veterinarian straight away. 

Hesitation could cost your dog’s life if the mushrooms turn out to be toxic. Hopefully, this article has offered some helpful tips so that you can keep your dog safe.

can dogs eat mushrooms?
(Last Updated On: March 8, 2020)
Liz
 

I'm a self-employed blogger, life-long pet parent, and lover of dogs and somehow manage to have time to pursue another of my passions - writing. I’m the primary contributor and editor of PUPPY FAQS. I love to write about nutrition, health, and care of puppies. In my spare time, I volunteer at my local dog shelter. If you have a question that needs answering, please leave a comment below, and I will do my best to explain it.

Click Here to Leave a Comment Below 0 comments

Leave a Reply: