Having Cheerios in the morning could be the highlight of your day like me. But what happens if your pet comes along and seems interested in your breakfast? You are probably wondering, “Can dogs eat Cheerios?”
While dogs do well with animal proteins and meat, giving your dog other healthy choices is wise. Considering that Cheerios are oats in whole grain form, it does no harm to the dog, but there is more to it.
Yes, dogs can eat Cheerios.
Are Cheerios Okay For Dogs?
The answer to whether you can give Cheerios to dogs is YES. You can easily feed them to your dog but are other healthier alternatives. A lot of people feed their dogs with it without considering the sugar levels. High sugar levels can cause diabetes to the dog among other diseases.
Although the American Heart Association encourages the use of Cheerios, it shouldn’t necessarily be the first choice regarding dog food. It is apparently an excellent choice for human food but not for your dog. A dog owner might think since it is safe for him, it is okay for his dog to consume too.
Going to get more information from the vet is a good idea. You can trust the information you get from the vet rather than some commercial advertisement trying to sell their product. As a bonus, perhaps he or she will give you other useful information: "can your dog eat beans, shrimp, cheese puffs, oranges, maple syrup and white chocolate?"
Does The Dog Get Any Nutritional Benefit From Cheerios?
- It shouldn’t come as a surprise that some dogs digest oat relatively faster while on the other hand, some react poorly. To us humans, oat is a very healthy ingredient, but for dogs, it could cause stomach irritation and even gas
- When it comes to rewarding your dog with Cheerios, using the safer version is a healthier choice. The supported version would be the oatmeal type of Cheerios. At least with this type, the oatmeal has less sugar and hence a healthier option to the wheat type.
- Although some dogs may react to the wheat, giving them a treat once in a while may not be as bad. Apparently, it makes sense to give your dog food that adds value to their lives, but using it as an occasional treat isn’t so wrong. Especially if it is a puppy, you can use the tiny sized ‘O's and feed it as a reward during training.
- Therefore, it is safe for dogs to have an occasional Cheerios treat but not a bowl full of it. Sprinkle some on top of their regular healthy meal and see how that goes.
What Are The Precautions To Observe With Cheerios?
- When it comes to the things to watch while trying to serve your canine this treat, sugar levels and quantity you help them are top of the list. As mentioned earlier, too much sugar can cause diabetes in the dog, and I am sure that is not something you would want.
- Also, there are many varieties of Cheerios in the market at the moment as you know, and some of the flavors come with higher sugar content than others. It is consequently wiser to check the taste and the ingredients before serving it up to your dog.
- Another precaution to take is not to feed your dog chocolate Cheerios. Chocolate is harmful to dogs. It can cause food poisoning, and even death is not treated early. The actual effects are too much energy, thirst, and convulsions.
- If you feel like your dog has taken chocolate and is about to show any of these signs, it would be wise to go to the vet immediately instead of waiting to see the signs.
- Lastly but not least, don’t mix milk and cereals for your dog. A lot of dogs are lactose intolerant. Therefore it is not a wise choice since it might make the dog uncomfortable later on and even sick.
- The thing is, the dog might even like the treat and prefer it to its regular kibble. But it doesn’t have much nutritional value like giving it the protein treat it should have. Therefore give your dog food that adds value to its health.
What Are The Possible Allergic Reactions?
- Some dogs that react to wheat, and the signs or the reaction are vomiting, irritation of the skin, inflammation of the ears, diarrhea and even scratching. The first sign will obviously be a change in the behavior of your dog. You will notice a difference in your dog’s behavior hence that should be enough for you to go to the vet without the following signs.
- Allergies are common in a lot of dogs, for example, the Bulldogs and the setters. You might not notice the allergies the first time they ingest the wheat, but over time, the allergies develop.
Related Topic: How to know if your dog is diabetic
What Alternative Treats Can You Give Your Dog?
- Speaking as a dog owner, we all love to treat our dogs from time to time that why we reach for Cheerios. But they are not as healthy for your dog so is it a treat?
- There are other types of treats to give your dog. There are more fruity snacks and are healthier for the dog at the same time. Now that’s more of a treat.
In Conclusion: Can Dogs Eat Cheerios?
Cheerios are a treat that both human and dogs can have. They do not contain any toxins that may harm your dog unless they are chocolate flavored. Honey nut, original, multi-grain and very berry cheerios are all safe to eat in moderation for your pet.
The only thing is that it does not provide any nutritional benefits to your dog and even worse off is that it may develop allergies over time.
Whenever it comes to giving your furry pets wanting a treat, think of how you would deal with your child who wants candy.
We all know you have to be strict when it comes to candy so the same should apply to your dog.
Also after giving them the treat, be sure to watch for any reactions at the end of the day.
I hope this article has helped you with how to handle your dog when it comes to Cheerios. Feel free to drop in a comment or thought below. Don't forget to share the article with your friends and loved ones too.
I hope I've answered the question, "can dogs eat cheerios?" to your satisfaction. Please leave a comment or question below. I look forward to responding to your comments. Don't forget to share the article with your friends and loved ones too.